City Colleges of Chicago English Instructor - Alternative High School (Truman Middle College) in Chicago, Illinois
- ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR - ALTERNATIVE HIGH SCHOOL (TRUMAN MIDDLE COLLEGE)
- TRUMAN COLLEGE
- Truman Middle College (TMC) is an Alternative High School (AHS) within the Youth Connection Charter School Network, open to eligible youth between 17 to 21 years old. TMC aspires to empower students to rise above barriers in order to become successful college and career ready individuals. Students learn to advocate for themselves and overcome obstacles, working towards completing their high school diploma and applying their knowledge and learned skills to transition to higher education and fulfilling professions.
- This position is responsible for implementing traditional elements of language arts through the utilization of innovative and progressive elements of the language arts curriculum.
* * Teaches students the rudiments of expository writing and how to analyze literature and present themselves and ideas in verbal and written forms.
* * Instructs students in test-taking skills for utilization in standardized exams, and in successful note taking and editing skills to enhance students learning experience.
* * Exposes students to library research techniques and word processing equipment to support writing skills.
* * Plans cultural, theatrical field trips in connection with classroom activities.
* * Supervises graduation exercises and theatrical presentations that showcase students’ talents on and off campus.
* * Bachelor's Degree in English/Language Art or a related field supplemented by one or two years of related experience and/or training.
* * ESL Endorsement is preferred
* * Type 9 Teaching certificate or Professional Educator License required. Consideration will be given to candidates with charter school certification.
* * Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities needed for addressing issues and concerns of the administration and students, and bringing about their timely resolution.
* * Must be self-directed, innovative and committed to integrating new technologies in the learning process with the ability to inspire, motivate and empower students to succeed.
* * Excellent oral and written communication skills required with the ability to interact effectively with students.
* * Must be able to work well within a culturally diverse environment with the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Full health benefits, 403(b) & 457(b) investment plans, paid vacation/holidays and City Colleges tuition waiver. Plus, enjoy working with a group of people who really love what they do. For a more detailed overview of benefits visit our benefits page.
- Special Requirement
- Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
- We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
- Thank you for your interest in CCC!
Primary Location: Truman College
Job Posting: Jun 19, 2017, 10:29:59 AM
Req ID: TRU0000641
Employee Type: Full Time
Union Code: 1600Profes