The Hartford Executive Underwriter, Middle Market Executive Liability in CHICAGO, Illinois
Title: Executive Underwriter, Middle Market Executive Liability
Location: United States-Illinois-Chicago
Job Number: 1701464
Hartford Financial Products (HFP) represents The Hartford's significant presence in the financial and professional insurance markets. We are one of the largest providers of Directors & Officers Liability (D&O), Employment Practices Liability (EPL), Errors & Omissions (E&O) and Crime insurance in the nation. Specializing in coverage's for both private and public entities, The Hartford also offers targeted programs for financial services, technology, real estate operating companies and more.
The Hartford Financial Products Underwriter is accountable for executing underwriting strategy while balancing profit, pricing and production objectives within a team environment. Strong sales behaviors and strong technical expertise are key factors in driving the desired results of the territory operating plan. The Underwriter is responsible for profitably growing our private company and non-profit management liability book, providing industry leading customer value and demonstrating a ‘strive for excellence’ environment. All these activities are directed towards further establishing the Hartford’s presence as the provider of choice for these financial product lines of Hartford Financial Products business in order to establish/maintain Hartford’s presence as the provider of choice for these product lines.
Underwriting Excellence (40%)
- Acts with high levels of Underwriting Authority; expertly applies all applicable LOB Underwriting guidelines when making decisions
- Coaches and mentors staff on team; supports junior underwriters
- Typically manages higher volume and/or higher Total Written Premium goal compared to country-wide standard
- Has thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance
Sales Excellence/Distribution Partner Management (40%)
- Creates, drives, and executes on strategies for new and/or renewal accounts including, prospective book management, executing on the mix strategy territorial and distribution partner sales plans, etc.
- Consults and provides solutions to distribution partners and insureds; viewed as a trusted advisor to partners; manages the book of business
- Effectively provides excellent account management service for assigned region through strategic planning and operational excellence; ensures the consistent delivery and execution of service; positively impacts and influences final account pricing and terms.
- Responsible for, or influences, retention
- Takes lead in communicating strategy to the agency; coordinates communications across the enterprise; educates internal and external partners on the strategy
- Coaches and mentors others on sales excellence and external partner management
- Establishes a pipeline of accounts and source businesses for other HFP units consistently
- Manages the sales process for his/her accounts including, planning, operating routines, and monitoring; establishes and maintains pipeline and sources opportunities for other team members
- Is professionally demanding and understands accountability.
Book Analysis & Planning (10%)
- Analyzes agency book on quarter-to-quarter basis for potential action
- Identified trends in book composition and financial performance, recommends solutions and executes corrective action with minimal input
Product Knowledge / Policy Command (10%)
- Can review almost all coverage requests and understand which are in appetite and which need review by additional authority
- Maintains thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance
- Coaches others on applicable terms and conditions; policy language and coverage applicability
- Expert knowledge of Management Liability Industry; deep experience in underwriting applicable lines of business
- Strong financial acumen and ability to review and understand insured's business model and health
- Strong ability to drive effective partnerships and deliver outcomes on behalf of the territory and national strategy
- Territory resource for most complex risks
- 7 years of management liability underwriting experience
- RPLU a plus
***Depending on candidate's experience, we may hire at a different level***
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression