Expedia Software Development Engineer II in Chicago, Illinois
Do you enjoy working in a flexible, Agile environment where your efforts to build mission critical transactional middleware has a direct impact on revenue generation? Do you thrive in a high-energy atmosphere that is constantly evaluating new technology with relentless focus on automation and continuous delivery? If you answered “Yes” to these questions then we are eager to hear from you.
We are looking for an innovative self-starter to help deliver the next generation financial orchestration platform at Expedia, Inc. The Financial and Core Transaction Services team owns a unique set of services that scale for high transactional throughput to support all transactions for multiple brands within Expedia Inc. Our focus is on Revolutionizing Travel by using technology to manage transactions at a massive scale along with big data analysis. You will be instrumental in the performance of our team to ensure that we meet the global needs of our business. Bring your passion for software performance and metrics driven analysis and be part of our success.
Job Responsibilities This position focuses not only on implementing software solutions for state of the art e-commerce processing systems but also on being a role model to your fellow engineers. You will get to expand your skills in building highly scalable solutions while influencing others and raising the bar on the overall level of excellence within the team. You will also get the opportunity to serve as a subject matter expert in cross-functional feature delivery. Whether you choose to move ahead in your career to a Senior Developer or manage people, this is the perfect position to learn how to move to the next stage.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Rock solid coding skills
- First class communication skills in written and verbal form
- Experience working with a team in design and development
- Critical thinker, expected to speak out and defend views
- Experience developing web services
- Thorough understanding of Software Development Lifecycle and methodologies
- Must be a voracious learner, especially in the areas of technology, service design patterns and system architecture
- Basic understanding of Quality and Testing principles
- Knowledge of performance testing, application tuning and load testing
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of Agile Software Development mechanics
- Prior background in high volume e-Commerce solutions or other transactional processing systems
- Background in Service Oriented Architecture implementation, service versioning, and backward compatibility
- Strong technical proficiency in Java, Spring MVC, JSON/XML, Web Services and object-oriented design
- Experience on Kafka / Scala / Storm / ElasticSearch / Apache Cassandra
- Experience working in with AWS/Cloud infrastructure.
- Excellent understanding of server side design patterns and practical application.
- Java ecosystem of tools including automated build and continuous integration (Gradle, Maven, Jenkins, Docker etc.)
- You write clean and elegant technical designs are part of your DNA and you have the ability to instill the same drive in others.
- Critical thinking: there are always options; you will be adept at identifying them, evaluating options and concisely communicate them to your peers.
- Experience in agile/Scrum software development practices and a track record of learning from your actions to make positive adjustments.
- Experience developing and supporting e-commerce systems and conducting A/B testing scenarios is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computing related discipline
- 6+ years Software Development work experience (Java experience strongly preferred)
- 3+ years creating and supporting Web Services in a high transactional environment
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time