Monsanto Software Engineer, Backend in Chicago, Illinois
The Climate Corporation is revolutionizing the agriculture industry through its innovative big data platform and our suite of farmer-facing digital applications. When paired with our patented farming equipment IoT platforms, we provide an end-to-end digital precision agriculture ecosystem unrivaled in the marketplace today.
We are rapidly expanding our core data platforms that enable and power our application, data science, ML AI, and 3rd party integration technologies. To support this growth we are looking for a collaborative and truly passionate Backend Software Engineer to join our team. You will help us expand our cloud-based high-volume data management capabilities and evolve our map and imagery delivery services crucial to our agronomic customers’ digital evolution. If you enjoy working on unique and constantly evolving technology challenges that have a direct impact in helping farmers sustainably increase our global food supplies, come join us!
What You Will Do:
- Build and support our big data pipelines that transform, integrate, and enrich machine-generated agronomic IoT data.
- Create microservices based data distribution capabilities supporting web-scale data access patterns and volumes.
- Build and enhance map and imagery delivery platforms supporting our customer-facing applications and 3rd party APIs.
- Actively participate in the design and code review process across the team.
- Produce high quality code with an emphasis on software craftsmanship.
- Ensure our codebase is continuously deliverable and deployable.
- Build your knowledge and contribute your ideas through interactive product design sessions, hackathons, and on-farm opportunities.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- 2+ years of software engineering experience using a functional or object oriented language (Java, Clojure, Scala, etc)
- Formal experience developing for and deploying to a cloud-based distributed environment (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud)
4+ years of hands-on experience developing robust data and or visualization capabilities
- Experience delivering microservices and or complex data processing applications
- Experience with near real-time large data set aggregation and web-scale distribution
- Proficient English skills, both written and verbal.
- Exposure to geospatial data management and map-based data and distribution services.
- Experience with container technologies, such as Docker, for managing deployments
- Background in agriculture, big data processing, and or microservices architecture.
- What We Offer:
Our teams are composed of industry experts, top scientists, and talented engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experiences for our customers.
We provide competitive salaries and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- Superb medical, dental, vision, life, disability benefits, and a 401k matching program
- A stocked kitchen with a large assortment of snacks & drinks as well as catered lunches
- Opportunities to interact with our farmer customers, on their farms, and see first-hand how our products are being used to drive improved yields and greater sustainability
- We take part and offer various workshops, conferences, meet-ups, tech-talks, and hackathons to encourage participation and growth in both community involvement and career development
We also hinge our cultural DNA on these five values:
Inspire one another
- Innovate in all we do
- Leave a mark on the world
- Find the possible in the impossible
- Be direct and transparent
- Learn more about our team and our mission:
The Climate Corporation - The Technology Behind Making A Difference
https: youtu.be c5TgbpE9UBI
At Monsanto, we value a diverse combination of ideas, perspectives and cultures. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. If you need a reasonable accommodation to access the information provided on this website, please access our disability accommodations process for further assistance.
U.S. Employment Law (applicable for U.S. jobs ONLY): EEO Employer Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled. For information about equal employment opportunity rights, please refer to this information from the U.S. federal government: EEOC Poster; EEOC Supplement.